Wednesday 3 February 2010

Day 34 - Bubble Box

I wanted to create something of a fantasy picture today, inspired by some photos I've seen recently that exploit the wireless flash trigger to get the light in unusual places.  Please admire the magical bubble box!


This was taken using the YN460-II on its lowest power setting inside the box, covered with a white cloth to diffuse the light and triggered using the Cactus V4.  I used the D50 at 1/250s at f/22 with the Sigma 10-20 at 20mm.  This killed off the ambient light and most the light bouncing back off the ceiling.  My glamorous assistant blew bubbles over the box while I fired away on continuous shooting (only 2.5 frames per second on the D50), which I hope gives the impression of bubbles floating out of the box.

The colours were achieved in Gimp with a little cross-processing style curves adjustment.

I'm pleased with the result, given how quickly this was put together, and I think this kind of set up could be exploited as part of a bigger picture.  That, however, will have to wait for another day.

A quick note on the hardware...  Although it isn't an earth shattering frame rate, the flash was on low power and it was all at close range, I was still impressed that both the YN460-II and Cactus V4 had no trouble keeping up with continuous shooting.  I don't intend to do a serious review of either piece of kit as I'm sure most people reading this aren't interested, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well these have performed since I got them.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! It may be just the version I am looking at but the image does seem a little soft. Where did you place the focus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right and I think this is something I've introduced in the post processing. The focus was fixed on the back lid to avoid the AF getting confused by the bubbles. Not quite sure how I've lost the sharpness so I'll have to look over the file again.

    ReplyDelete