Friday 21 May 2010

Day 135 - Hannah

Hannah makes another welcome appearance on the blog, today helping me try out a technique for a natural light portrait.  Yes folks, that's actual natural light coming from the sun!  Not a flashgun in sight.

Having said that, this is an interesting example of a lighting technique I wouldn't even have thought to try before I started experimenting with off camera flash.  The warm, evening sunlight is being used for backlighting and the soft light in front comes from my big white board, held by my glamorous assistant.  That way, I get those fantastic golden shades, a more flattering soft light on the face, a halo effect on Hannah's blonde hair, separation from the background and a shallow depth of field from a fairly wide aperture.  Happy news all round.

Despite the different subject, light source and resulting feel, this is actually a very similar technique to the one used indoors for the sea holly the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment